Help me decide (ST1x, ST2 used, ST3)

JeroenB
Expert
Expert
Belgium

It looks to me that like you realy want the st3? If the 2000 euro is something you can mis, then go for it. You will quickly forget that you spend that money and I hope you will be very happy with the bike you are dreaming of.
3500km. De honeymoon is nu voorbij: nu wordt onze relatie serieus. We zullen goede en slechte dagen tegemoet gaan, maar samen komen we er wel door. :ba :bp:
abuchris
Runner-up
Runner-up
Denmark

I was just out walking the dogs, and I was thinking exactly that.
Following your heart might just make all the difference in being happy. Unless the ST3 constantly breaks down, I probably won't ever think "I wish I had spent less money and gotten the used one" :)

One question I did think of this morning: Is there an advantage to having the larger battery? Since I can't ensure the bike against theft and damage, I will probably only drive it as a commuter, where it can be safely stored at both ends of the commute.
The ride is 20km each way, so I will probably not be riding more than 50km pr. day in total. Is the larger battery just wasted on me, making the bike heavier with no benefit?
Tomasj
Veteraan
Veteraan
Papua New Guinea

abuchris schreef: 06 okt 2019, 08:03 I was just out walking the dogs, and I was thinking exactly that.
Following your heart might just make all the difference in being happy. Unless the ST3 constantly breaks down, I probably won't ever think "I wish I had spent less money and gotten the used one" :)

One question I did think of this morning: Is there an advantage to having the larger battery? Since I can't ensure the bike against theft and damage, I will probably only drive it as a commuter, where it can be safely stored at both ends of the commute.
The ride is 20km each way, so I will probably not be riding more than 50km pr. day in total. Is the larger battery just wasted on me, making the bike heavier with no benefit?
The bike will not become more heavy. With the largest battery you should be able to do your daily 40 km without any issues, with the smaller battery, you will probably require an additional charging to charge at work.
Your battery will lose power over time, starting with a bigger battery will probably ensure you to have a longer battery life.
'Ludo' : ST2 2018 - 983 Wh - 20" Sport - White Gloss - 04/2018 - 27000 km
woon-werk 54 km enkel (Tienen - Genk)
Henry
Veteraan
Veteraan
Netherlands

How many kilometers you can drive with a fully loaded 983 Wh battery is determined by various factors. In a specific topic on this forum, you can read that the distance varies from 40 - 100+ kilometers. In the summer the average is about 60 km, in the winter this average can drop to about 40 kilometers.
Witte ST3 van maart 2019
Stromeur
Admin | Forum Supporter
Admin | Forum Supporter
Netherlands
Merk SP: Stromer ST3 PINION SE

abuchris schreef: 06 okt 2019, 08:03 The ride is 20km each way, so I will probably not be riding more than 50km pr. day in total. Is the larger battery just wasted on me, making the bike heavier with no benefit?
I think there are two reasons for chosing the largest battery. First: after time and kilometers, the battery will degenerate. The larger the capacity of the battery, the more time it will take before you need to replace it. Second: you may think that you will only use your Stromer to commute, but practice shows that a lot of people enjoy their Stromer so much that they also start using it for many other purposes too. In that case, extra capacity might come in handy.

On the other hand there is budget off course. For your purpose, the 814Wh battery is fine. When I bought my first Stromer (an ST1 X), I did not upgrade the 618Wh battery for budget-reasons and it did a fine job bringing me to work at a 30km distance. I charged the battery at work.
Stromer ST1 X 2017 - Stromer ST2 S 2018 - Klever X ALPHA 45 2021 - Stromer ST3 PINON 2023
UVB
Runner-up
Runner-up

I made a similar choice last July.

I tested the ST1x and ST3. I felt that the ST1x was easier to handle going slowly and turning as well as when manually putting it away in the barn. I did see that the ST3 has a cruising speed that is 1-2 KM/h higher (and tested the ST5, which again was 1-2KM/h higher). So there is a speed difference but I thought it to be minimal on my commute (22Km), unless of course if you ride just behind another ST3/ST5..... You will overtake any other brand of bicycle anyway.
And, like others say, the ST3 has some more stability when cycling straight and flat (and the ST5 a bit more again). Also the ST3 has some other advantages like better brakes better light, not very different but a bit better.

My third option was the new ST1 '10 years', but in my opinion the engine had not enough power 670W compared to 800W of the ST1x (ST3=850W, ST5=880W). So I didn't want to wait for it.

An advantage at my time of decision was that on an ST1x a suspension fork and some other extras were included for free in bargain deal (but your price for the ST1x is lower than what I paid).

I ended up choosing the ST1x and I'm very happy with it! I did choose the largest battery, it costs a lot but the range is nice, I only charge at home and if necessary for a longer trip I take the charger with me. Another reason to buy the larger battery is that I hope to use it a lot longer than a small battery when it starts degrading (maybe even twice as long). I like the suspension fork a lot and added a Kinect Bodyfloat (suspension saddle pin), that makes it a lot easier on bumpy roads and mastering speed-bumps at full speed.

An option for theft is an Abus Bordo lock with alarm that I use. It is not thieve-proof, but it helps when an alarm goes off.

So, do make one or some test rides and feel what is best for you. I don't think there is a bad choice in your options.
abuchris
Runner-up
Runner-up
Denmark

Thank you all for your help.

I went for the ST3 and will pick it up today :)
I'd rather hate myself for spending too much money, than hating myself for not spending enough. :aq

For a lock, I got the Abus Granite, which does NOT have the alarm. The reason given by the dealer was that the alarm version is not available in a 110cm version, which makes it harder to properly lock the large frame. He may be wrong, I don't know. I did ask for the alarm version, because it appeals to me.
I also added a bikefinder, to ensure that GPS tracking is always on. Overkill? Perhaps. But since I can't ensure the bike against theft (annual insurance for damage and theft is 1000EUR for a pedelec here in Denmark), I think a little overkill on locks and tracking is ok :)

The bike does NOT come with a mirror however, so if anyone of you is still around to give help, I'd love opinions on which mirror to get. Both practical and good looking if possible :D

Again thank you all for your input, I'll be sure to snap a photo when I have it delivered :)
Stromeur
Admin | Forum Supporter
Admin | Forum Supporter
Netherlands
Merk SP: Stromer ST3 PINION SE

abuchris schreef: 09 okt 2019, 09:33 I went for the ST3 and will pick it up today :)
Congratulations! :bp:
abuchris schreef: 09 okt 2019, 09:33 The reason given by the dealer was that the alarm version is not available in a 110cm version, which makes it harder to properly lock the large frame. He may be wrong, I don't know.
The dealer gave you good advice.
abuchris schreef: 09 okt 2019, 09:33 The bike does NOT come with a mirror however, so if anyone of you is still around to give help, I'd love opinions on which mirror to get. Both practical and good looking if possible :D
Strange that there is no mirror? This is obligated in the entire EU.

Anyway, I think you will find plenty inspiration in the topic below:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27&p=126&hilit=alte ... B%26M#p126
Stromer ST1 X 2017 - Stromer ST2 S 2018 - Klever X ALPHA 45 2021 - Stromer ST3 PINON 2023
UVB
Runner-up
Runner-up

abuchris schreef: 09 okt 2019, 09:33 Thank you all for your help.

I went for the ST3 and will pick it up today :)
I'd rather hate myself for spending too much money, than hating myself for not spending enough. :aq

For a lock, I got the Abus Granite, which does NOT have the alarm. The reason given by the dealer was that the alarm version is not available in a 110cm version, which makes it harder to properly lock the large frame. He may be wrong, I don't know. I did ask for the alarm version, because it appeals to me.
I also added a bikefinder, to ensure that GPS tracking is always on. Overkill? Perhaps. But since I can't ensure the bike against theft (annual insurance for damage and theft is 1000EUR for a pedelec here in Denmark), I think a little overkill on locks and tracking is ok :)

The bike does NOT come with a mirror however, so if anyone of you is still around to give help, I'd love opinions on which mirror to get. Both practical and good looking if possible :D

Again thank you all for your input, I'll be sure to snap a photo when I have it delivered :)
Congratulations!

As for the lock, I have an Abus Bordo 120cm with alarm, so it is available (at least in NL).

Whether obligatory or not, in my opinion a mirror is quite useful. Do consider a mirror of the ST5, that mirror is placed below the handle. The ST1 and ST3 mirrors are placed left of the handle, which makes your bicycle wider and you will need more space in traffic (especially relevant on busy bicycle pathways).

But most of all: Have fun!!
abuchris
Runner-up
Runner-up
Denmark

oh I'll have to look at the lock then... damnit :)
The problem was that it's not "insurance approved" in the 110 version. But since I'm not insuring it, who the hell cares :)

As for mirror, I'm communicating with the dealer, but will probably settle for the 913/712VLGE mounted upside down, if it doesn't cost me anything.
Plaats reactie