Help me decide (ST1x, ST2 used, ST3)

abuchris
Runner-up
Runner-up
Denmark

This has to be in English due to my dutch being non-existent. I hope that is ok....
There's a google translate version of this in Dutch, at the bottom :)

I am in Denmark, and I am about to buy my first ebike. A Stromer off course :D
My usage is a 22km daily commute each way, and nothing else. The trip is mostly flat, mostly straight, and only a small part of it is inside a city, the rest is on country roads, most with decent bike paths.

I have the following options:
ST1X 814WH - 4700 EUR
brand new, no additional items in the price.
I will have to get helmet, lock and pannier as a minimum

ST2 983WH - 5100 EUR
used, 3000 km, 100 hours. Price includes Abus Bordo 6000 lock and helmet
I will have to buy a pannier and possibly a bikefinder gps.

ST3 814WH - 7200EUR
brand new, includes helmet, bike lock, Ortlieb pannier, and bikefinder gps security.
This bike is "complete" for my purposes

Please tell me what you think I should get, and feel free to tell me why. Thank you :)

--- Dutch version ---
Dit moet in het Engels zijn omdat mijn Nederlands niet bestaat. Ik hoop dat het goed is ...
Er is een Google-vertaling van dit in het Nederlands, onderaan :)

Ik ben in Denemarken en sta op het punt om mijn eerste ebike te kopen. Een Stromer natuurlijk: D
Mijn gebruik is dagelijks 22 km woon-werkverkeer, en verder niets. De reis is meestal vlak, meestal recht, en slechts een klein deel ervan ligt in een stad, de rest is op landelijke wegen, de meeste met behoorlijke fietspaden.

Ik heb de volgende opties:
ST1X 814WH - 4700 EUR
gloednieuw, geen extra items in de prijs.
Ik zal minimaal een helm, slot en fietstas moeten kopen

ST2 983WH - 5100 EUR
gebruikt, 3000 km, 100 uur. Prijs is inclusief Abus Bordo 6000 slot en helm
Ik zal een fietstas en mogelijk een fietszoeker GPS moeten kopen.

ST3 814WH - 7200EUR
gloednieuw, inclusief helm, fietsslot, Ortlieb fietstas en bikefinder GPS-beveiliging.
Deze fiets is "compleet" voor mijn doeleinden

Vertel me alsjeblieft wat je denkt dat ik zou moeten krijgen, en voel me vrij om me te vertellen waarom. Dank je :)
Stromeur
Admin | Forum Supporter
Admin | Forum Supporter
Netherlands
Merk SP: Stromer ST3 PINION SE

abuchris schreef: 04 okt 2019, 15:35 This has to be in English due to my dutch being non-existent. I hope that is ok....
No problem! :ay

Did you test ride the models? This is important, because in my opinion the first thing that you need to decide is wheter you prefer the agility of a model with 26" wheels (ST1 X/ST2) or the stability of a model with larger 27,5" wheels (ST3).

Given your road conditions and route, you may like the ST3 the most, because it is just perfect for a long, smooth rides in the countryside. (Allthough this is also perfectly possible with ST1 X/ST2. My environment is comparable and I ride an ST2 S.) If you have a lot wind, then the ST2 and ST3 will show that they have a stronger motor torque than the ST1 X.

If budget is important: the new ST1 X seems like the most bang for buck. The ST3 is one of the newer models and you also pay for that. The ST2 is a great Stromer, a true legend. Also a very nice price with the largest battery, but with a used Stromer I would ask the dealer to check the remaining capacity via the Stromer Portal first.
Stromer ST1 X 2017 - Stromer ST2 S 2018 - Klever X ALPHA 45 2021 - Stromer ST3 PINON 2023
FreddyH
Veteraan
Veteraan
Netherlands
Merk SP: Klever X-Speed α

You didn't mention how old the ST2 is. Does it still have warranty? If not: replacement parts are rather expensive..

There really is no bad choice in the options you mention. As Stromeur mentions: make sure you test ride each bike so you have a feeling what fits you most. That's a very personal thing, with which we cannot really help.
Then it's budget verses feeling (usually the latter wins :bc )
🇺🇦
There was never a good war, or a bad peace :bn:
[Benjamin Franklin]
abuchris
Runner-up
Runner-up
Denmark

FreddyH schreef: 04 okt 2019, 21:22 You didn't mention how old the ST2 is. Does it still have warranty? If not: replacement parts are rather expensive..
You're right, that's valuable information. The ST2 is from april 2019, so it still has 18 months warranty.
And it brings up a point my wife made: IF it turns out that biking is not for me (I'm 49, and I've disliked biking since I was 18), then reselling the ST3 will probably be a lot easier than the ST2. So there's more "security" in that purchase. But whenever I've tested a Stromer I've absolutely loved it.
Stromeur schreef: 04 okt 2019, 20:28 .. you may like the ST3 the most, because it is just perfect for a long, smooth rides in the countryside. (Allthough this is also perfectly possible with ST1 X/ST2. My environment is comparable and I ride an ST2 S.) If you have a lot wind, then the ST2 and ST3 will show that they have a stronger motor torque than the ST1 X.
I keep hearing that the larger rims are better for longer straights, but I can't really tell if it's something that I can FEEL.. you know? But I think that the 27.5 will be better than the 26.
I did try both of them, but not one right after the other, so I don't have a comparison. Also, I feel like it won't show up until I take it out for a 10k+ test run :)

I am VERY much leaning towards the ST3, for two reasons:
1: If it turns out I won't like it, then I will never know if it's because I bought a lesser bike :)
2: Resell value is probably higher, and easier to sell, which gives me some security.

But hell... those 2000 euros can buy me a lot of biking clothes and gear :P
Stromeur
Admin | Forum Supporter
Admin | Forum Supporter
Netherlands

abuchris schreef: 04 okt 2019, 21:57 I keep hearing that the larger rims are better for longer straights
Not better, just different. I have also heard people calling it "boring" ;)
abuchris schreef: 04 okt 2019, 21:57 but I can't really tell if it's something that I can FEEL.. you know?
I understand. I do feel the difference, but mostly in the sence that on my first rides on an ST5 and ST3 I thought that not much speed was happening. Until I looked at the display and saw it stating 48km/u :shock:
abuchris schreef: 04 okt 2019, 21:57 1: If it turns out I won't like it, then I will never know if it's because I bought a lesser bike :)
Personally I don't think that the ST2 is a lesser bike than the ST3. It's only an older model, but it is a very proven one and a true legend in my opinion.
abuchris schreef: 04 okt 2019, 21:57 2: Resell value is probably higher, and easier to sell, which gives me some security.
Yes, this will be very much so. Not only because the ST3 is a more recent model, but also because the next buyer would be the third owner and no matter the quality of the maintenance; this lowers the resell value.
Stromer ST1 X 2017 - Stromer ST2 S 2018 - Klever X ALPHA 45 2021 - Stromer ST3 PINON 2023
Tomasj
Veteraan
Veteraan
Papua New Guinea

abuchris schreef: 04 okt 2019, 21:57 You're right, that's valuable information. The ST2 is from april 2019, so it still has 18 months warranty.
And it brings up a point my wife made: IF it turns out that biking is not for me (I'm 49, and I've disliked biking since I was 18), then reselling the ST3 will probably be a lot easier than the ST2. So there's more "security" in that purchase. But whenever I've tested a Stromer I've absolutely loved it.
I'm not sure about that. You will instantly lose > 1000 EUR on the ST3 when you try to sell it. You will probably be capable of ditching the ST2 with less loss
abuchris schreef: 04 okt 2019, 21:57 I am VERY much leaning towards the ST3, for two reasons:
1: If it turns out I won't like it, then I will never know if it's because I bought a lesser bike :)
2: Resell value is probably higher, and easier to sell, which gives me some security.
But hell... those 2000 euros can buy me a lot of biking clothes and gear :P
The ST2 is in no means a lesser bike then the ST2. I have a colleague who bought an ST2 which was stolen after a few months, he replaced it with an ST3. He says there's not much of a difference between both bikes (except ST3 is a bit more snappy and delivers a more stable ride). I drive an ST2 and I love the fact that it has smaller wheels. The bike is more agile and is an absolute pleasure to throw into corners. On top of that, I have more flexibility in tire choice on it.
Like I said before, if you resell the ST3 after 500km, you will not get 6000 EUR for it. But you will probably sell the ST2 easily for 4000 EUR after 500 km.
'Ludo' : ST2 2018 - 983 Wh - 20" Sport - White Gloss - 04/2018 - 27000 km
woon-werk 54 km enkel (Tienen - Genk)
Henry
Veteraan
Veteraan
Netherlands

Last but not least: do not forget that the ST3 is a newer model. All problems with the ST1X and ST2 are known and proven solutions are available. People with a ST3 are sometimes confronted with problems for which a solution is not immediately available; finally the solution will become available. The question is whether your mechanic has a demo or spare bike for you in the intervening period of time.

Laatst gewijzigd door Henry op 05 okt 2019, 15:10, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Witte ST3 van maart 2019
Polling
Veteraan
Veteraan
Netherlands

Stromeur schreef: 04 okt 2019, 22:11
abuchris schreef: 04 okt 2019, 21:57 2: Resell value is probably higher, and easier to sell, which gives me some security.
Yes, this will be very much so. Not only because the ST3 is a more recent model, but also because the next buyer would be the third owner and no matter the quality of the maintenance; this lowers the resell value.
Do you really think so? My experience is that when you want to sell a new-bought item, you always get a lot less. The first months and km’s will always cost the most.

I have sold second-hand (third- and morehand too) bikes for more money then i bought them for, I never managed that when I tried to sell a neuwbought bike.

Sorry for my Englisch, I am not good in writing.
Peter Polling
motorloze Gaastra 4.14 voor recreatie en vakanties;
Bulls Lacuba E45 (Brose middenmotor) voor WW-verkeer
Stromeur
Admin | Forum Supporter
Admin | Forum Supporter
Netherlands

Polling schreef: 05 okt 2019, 11:18
Stromeur schreef: 04 okt 2019, 22:11
Do you really think so? My experience is that when you want to sell a new-bought item, you always get a lot less. The first months and km’s will always cost the most.
Yes, you are correct. I did not count on the large loss during the first 1.000km's. My bad.
abuchris
Runner-up
Runner-up
Denmark

Wow, you guys have a lot of good points.. in every direction :)
Polling schreef: 05 okt 2019, 11:18 Do you really think so? My experience is that when you want to sell a new-bought item, you always get a lot less. The first months and km’s will always cost the most.
This is very true, and I did not consider it. However, there's still the question of what is easier to sell... a current model, or a model no longer being manufactured. And you should know that I've only ever seen ONE stromer for sale used in Denmark. There's not many of them around.
Tomasj schreef: 05 okt 2019, 08:36 The ST2 is in no means a lesser bike then the ST2. I have a colleague who bought an ST2 which was stolen after a few months, he replaced it with an ST3. He says there's not much of a difference between both bikes (except ST3 is a bit more snappy and delivers a more stable ride).
I think it comes down to this: Is "more snappy" and "more stable" and "more new" worth 2000 EUR.
I just don't know, and I find it very difficult to decide.
Plaats reactie